Friday, December 24, 2010

Kids and Trailwork

Recently, I began training my kids to enjoy and participate in trailwork. Like adults, at first they find the work challenging and exhausting, but come to appreciate and deeply enjoy it. Trailwork is an ideal activity for kids; it gets them outside exercising and developing a work ethic, plus they start to learn the intrinsic value of being a volunteer.

The key is to not push them too hard. Give them small tasks that do not require large hikes in or full day efforts. Today, I brought my daughters out to Scott's Drop, where we cleared many downed trees that made the trail impassible. While I did the heavy lifting, I set them off trimming smaller brush with loppers and handheld clippers. After several hours, we wrapped it up, climbed back in the truck and headed home. Both of the girls told me they really liked our outing and would love to do it again.

Which is about as nice a thing as I could hear on this Christmas Eve.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree, great way to spend quality time with your kids. They love to play in the dirt and so do we!