Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Trails With A Friend

Willie is a one year old border collie I adopted late last year from Border Collie Rescue of Northern California. Those of you who know this breed understand that they come quipped with endurance that most of us wish we had. After a longish Round Mountain ride, he watches me intently, bewildered why I would be throwing my bike on the rack and driving home. What? But isn't this fun? WHY ARE WE STOPPING?

One of the many things that I adore about Willie is that he loves trails just as much as I do. In fact, you could argue that his passion exceeds mine. When I go for a 15 mile ride, he puts in 20 miles from sprinting ahead, chasing a squirrel, investigating a sound, etc. When I am about to head out on the trail, I don't jump up and down ecstatically like he does.

At trail volunteer days, he seems even happier. And why not? What is more exciting than trail construction? He isn't particularly versed in the use of a Pulaski, but he does know how to dig. And he does a great job of cheering up my fellow volunteers.

My heart was broken a few months back when my long time border collie friend Phoebe died. She was also an incredible trail enthusiast who kept up with me until her later years. After her passing, I decided to find another friend and found an amazing one in Willie. Look for him on our next BONC trailwork event at Bullards Bar on March 17. He'll be the one looking fresher and happier than anyone else at the end of the day.

No comments: